Online Creative Writing Workshops for Children
High-quality workshops with individual feedback from real live authors for your children’s creative writing
“Thanks for deftly spurring my child to action with his writing. His eyes would light up when he received feedback from you. He has come along in leaps and bounds. He now has a portfolio of writing he can keep forever and be very proud of.”
The Writing Workshop’s online courses help children take creative risks, think laterally and build writing techniques and a sense of structure. These workshops build on your child’s love of writing or provide the imaginative boost to liven up your child’s creative writing.
Backed by Decades of Creative Writing Experience
Designed by The Writing Workshop’s director, Dr Bernard Cohen, our online workshops provide personalised feedback from published authors. We understand from experience what it is to write an ambitious story or poem. The Writing Workshop has inspired the imagination and creative writing of tens of thousands of young people.
Every story, poem and article is carefully read, every piece of feedback is individually and personally crafted to help your child get the most from the workshop. Current online workshop leader is author and online educator Lynda Delacey.
How Our online workshops work
1. Workshops take place in a password protected blog interface. We aim to return feedback on posted work within a week.
2. Workshops are exercise-based, undertaken at the child’s own pace. We encourage self-motivated children and young people to engage with them to their best, and feedback is aimed at expanding and re-drafting.
3. The exercises cover prose narrative across a range of facets, reportage, poetry and other forms of the child’s choice.
4. We provide personal feedback on each post. We want children to use their creativity and imagination to drive their work, and we encourage experimentation within the goals of each exercise.
5. There is no fixed starting date. On enrolment, we will supply a username and password, and your child can immediately commence the workshop.
Children's Online Writing Workshop
for young people aged 7–10
The workshop comprises seven writing tasks (and second drafts) over 6 months, you will invent your own story world, populate it with unique and interesting characters and make brilliant events occur using a range of different writing forms.
Online Creative Writing Workshop
for ages 10 and up
The Writing Workshop's online creative writing workshop for young people aged 10 and up takes place anywhere in the world through our password-protected online interface. The workshops involve regular writing exercises and mentor feedback.
Invent glorious or not-so glorious characters and send them on quests throughout the known and unknown worlds. Navigate through eight challenging writing tasks and redrafts as your characters navigate their own challenges of your devising.
Booking is simple
1) Choose your workshop and click the read BOOK NOW button to go to our ticketing site.
2) You’ll see a yellow BOOK NOW button inn the top right hand side of the page. Click it!
3) Fill out the online booking and payment form.
4) We’ll set you up in the next few days and send a welcome email.
5) Help your child log in and start creating!
Passion for writing
The Writing Workshop began in 2006. Since then we've written with over 80,000 participants – from five years old to school-leavers – and read aloud over half a million pieces of imaginative writing.
"Thank you for all the positive energy you put into the writing course. You really have a talent for engaging young writers. My son had a great time and it's great to see him write outside of the realms of his comfort zone. He has come home writing and already I can see some development in the area of characterisation and plot formation. He has asked to do another course which is fantastic. It was wonderful seeing so many children with a passion for writing in the same room" Year 2 Parent